You may need a new thermostat, or you may have decided to buy a new one to take advantage of new technology. Either way, there is a lot to be aware of when buying a new thermostat.
Find a good site with all the information you need to do your research. For great reviews go to http://www.thermostatcenter.com/ where you will also find information and buying guides for the different types of thermostat.
Before you start investigating the different thermostats available, decide on the features that you want.
The first thing you need from your new thermostat is that it can work with your current heating and cooling system. You need to know which heating and cooling systems you have, to know if your new thermostat will be compatible.
- 1 stage.
- 2 stage.
- Direct Line Voltage.
- Zone heating and cooling.
Types of Thermostat
Buying a good thermostat with a range of useful features will help you save money. Even basic thermostats now can control temperatures within your house better than older models.
- Programmable thermostats. These can help you to save money on your heating bills. They will adjust the temperature based on your settings. These are the easiest to install.
- Wireless thermostats. These cost more but can also save you more. They enable you to adjust the temperature remotely.
- Smart thermostats. These cost the most but will also save you the most. They learn your preferences and your movements and adjust the temperature accordingly. They normally also have remote access.
This type of thermostat is not connected to the internet. These normally can be programmed for different durations of time. The programming is entered directly into the unit. They are cost-effective but are not as flexible as other models that can be programmed remotely.
- 7 day. These can have a different setting each day. There are 4 periods within a day.
- 5-1-1 day. These can have one setting for a weekday, then one for Saturday and one for Sunday. There are 4 periods within a day.
- 5-2 day. These can have a different setting for weekdays and the weekend. There are 4 periods within a day.
- 1 week. There is 1 program for the week. There are 4 periods within a day.
If this is the type of thermostat you are going to want, decide on how different your days of the week are in terms of heating your house. Then choose the programmable thermostat that will be the most useful.
A step up from a programmable thermostat is the wireless thermostat.
- This will improve your energy efficiency and save you money.
- You can control your temperature settings from your tablet or smartphone.
- You can control your thermostat remotely.
With a smart thermostat, you can control your heating from your computer or smartphone. There are different levels of smart thermostat and the smarter ones are more intuitive.
Benefits of a Smart Thermostat
- A learning thermostat has all the benefits of a programmable thermostat without you having to stand there and program it. It can learn your habits and create a schedule to fit your own lifestyle. It will lower the temperature when the house is empty and warm it up prior to people returning home. They also provide a lot of reporting information to allow you to save more money and reduce your energy usage. You can over-ride the settings if you don’t like the schedule your thermostats creates.
- In addition to your smart thermostat learning your habits, you can control it remotely.
- Multi-Room. With this option you can set different temperatures and settings for different rooms. This enables you to turn the heating off in rooms you are not using, for different times of the day. You would need extra thermostats for this option to work.
- Smart thermostats can change the temperature according to the outside temperature.
- Motion sensors can let your smart thermostat know you are home. Some even have GPS settings.
- Some smart thermostats can control your hot water if you need this feature. You normally need to pay more and those with a combi-boiler will not need the option.